We’re all about having fun and keeping it real, but when it comes to taking care of your teeth, we at Forever Smiles don’t mess around. Dr. Razdolsky, Anna and the team travel all over the area (and the world) advocating for the importance of healthy smiles. And to help you keep yours, we’re going to share with you six, super-easy oral care tips for braces.
- Always brush gently at a 45-degree angle toward the gumline and around the top and bottom of the braces. Move the toothbrush in a small circular motion across all surfaces of the teeth to remove bacteria, as well as any trapped food particles.
- Brush at least three times a day - after breakfast, when you get home from school or in the afternoon and again after dinner.
- Replace your toothbrush or brush head every 3-4 months - sooner if it shows signs of wear or if you get sick.
- Make a point to inspect your braces to see they are clean and shiny. Make note that bracket edges should be clearly visible, not fuzzy or dull looking. This can indicate poor brushing and you should have another go at it.
- Floss at least once per day to remove bacteria and any food that has accumulated. You can also take advantage of tools like floss threaders, water flossers and interdental brushes to help you reach the backs and interproximal areas of your teeth and tighter spaces around or between teeth, brackets and wires.