People make a lot of resolutions only to fall off the wagon just a few short weeks into the New Year. But here is a 2018 resolution that’s super easy to keep, and five great reasons to do it too. Resolve to smile!
1. Studies prove that smiling improves your mood by releasing endorphins and serotonin that automatically lift your spirits. Even if you smile through tough times or moments of sadness, activating these neural messages can relieve stress and improve disposition.
2. A smile makes a great first impression by making you appear more confident, competent, courteous and even, likeable. When you smile at someone, the sensory reward center of their brain is activated, so they feel rewarded by your smile and have a more favorable first impression of you.
3. A smile is contagious. Studies show that when you smile at someone, their brain is hard-wired to return the smile, so you both get a shot of those feel-good endorphins.
4. To some, a smile shows that you’re healthy, take good care of yourself and can help you be perceived as more attractive. According to a 2016 study by the American Academy for Cosmetic Dentistry, a smile is the secret to attractiveness at any age. In fact, 96 percent of people surveyed by the AACD thought that a smile made people more attractive.
5. The more you smile, the more positive you become. So, even if you’re feeling a little blue… fake it, the rewards of a smile are still the same. Your brain tracks your smiles, so the more you do it the more you rewire your brain to think more positively.
So remember, a smile has benefits which impact your personal life, health and even those around you. Share a smile today and resolve to be a better and happier you in 2018!
Did you know...in as little as 30 minutes after drinking soda the acids begin wearing at your tooth enamel? Imagine that trapped in your braces!
Limit sugary drinks • drink more water
(And, if you drink soda, be sure to brush right away.) Your Forever Smile will thank you.