Here at Forever Smiles, we know that cranberries complete the Thanksgiving table nationwide. For many years researchers have associated cranberries with a variety health benefits. Among those benefits are:
1. Protection against Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
2. Immune system support, which may lower the frequency of cold and flu. It is important to note that research is still very limited in this area.
3. Cardiovascular health is perhaps the best-researched area amongst the cranberry's benefits. The combined anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits offer a natural defense against atherosclerosis, and the accumulation of low density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad cholesterol".
4. Anti-cancer benefits has been more intriguing in the past 10 years since the majority of studies in this area have involved lab studies on human cancer cells or animal experiments.
5. The cranberry's anti-inflammatory properties are said to be beneficial not only to the stomach and digestive tract, but can also help lower the risk of periodontal disease. Chronic, excessive levels of inflammation around our gums can damage the tissues that support our teeth. The phytonutrients in the cranberrry help reduce this unwanted inflmmatory response.
Journal of Clinical Periodontology (Oct. 18, 20110)
6. Anti-aging agents suggest that diest containing fruit and vegetables with high-ORAC values ( a measure of antioxidanrt levels ) may provide protection against chronic symptoms of aging, like loss of coordination and memory. CDS Review (Sept/Oct. 2011)
We hope you all enjoy your Thanksgiving meals (don't forget the cranberries!). From our family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!